Dentistry: Specialist Services
In addition to our gold-standard general practice dentistry, Griffin Animal Hospital provides monthly specialty services through Dr. Kristin Scott from CROWN • Veterinary Dental Specialists of Charlotte. Dr. Scott is available by appointment only for in-person consultations, in-hospital consultations, and dental and oral surgical procedures. She is here to provide care to all pets in Columbia and the surrounding areas – even if your pet is not a patient at GAH, they can still be seen as a referral patient! Dr. Scott is happy to speak with you or your veterinarian to coordinate care.
Some of the dental specialty procedures performed at Griffin Animal Hospital include:
- Challenging extractions or managing complications of extractions performed elsewhere
- Certification of dentition and occlusion
- Management or correction of misaligned teeth through multiple methods, including orthodontic movement
- Oral surgery: fracture repair, tumor removals (maxillectomy or mandibulectomy), a biopsy of oral masses palatal and soft tissue repair, removal of impacted teeth, surgical treatment of cysts within the upper or lower jaw
- Root canal therapy to save mature teeth
- Vital pulp therapy to save immature teeth
- Metal crown placement (prosthodontics) to protect worn teeth from fracturing or after root canal therapy
- Periodontal surgery to save teeth or maintain jaw strength after extractions; this may include bone grafting and the development of new bone.
- Gingivectomy to remove excessive gum tissue and restore the normal shape and contours of the gums (gingiva)
- Oral medicine: medical management of feline stomatitis and canine oral inflammatory disorders, pain management for end stage oral cancers
- Restorations of enamel fractures, genetic enamel defects or cavities
- Emergency care for fractured teeth and most jaw fractures. If Dr. Scott is not at Griffin Animal Hospital when your pet has a dental emergency, she is often available to speak to your veterinarian and make recommendations for care.